Friday, November 03, 2006

Ballroom Doors Gone at Hickory Hill

I talked with some of the project team at RATIO Architects this morning concerning the Old Slave House. One of the items discussed centered on the old ballroom that once occupied the front half of the second floor of the Old Slave House.

We had hoped that the old folding doors that once separated the front bedrooms and the hallway were still there just enclosed in the walls. Regrettably the team didn't find any doors last week.

However, they did find where the doors connected which might help them be able to reconstruct what they looked like. They didn't find any track in the floor for the doors and will check the top of the open on one of their future trips.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering if there is any update on whether or not the house will reopen....I have been searching but have yet to find the answer...

lynn82301@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I remember going to OSH when I was a child, just before it closed. My father wanted me to see it before it was gone.

It was a moment that has never left me and has given me a great appreciation for history.

I too wonder about the process of re-opening, and when it is likely to ocurr. I have children now, and would like to share the story with them and give them a place to visit that is at once creepy but educational.

jay.carter@yale.edu

Anonymous said...

I hope it will re-open soon. I also went there as a kid. I will be back in Southern Illinois this summer for the first time in about 25 years. I was hoping to go to the Old Slave House, but it doesn't look like that will be possible.

If there are any changes or updates, I would like to know about them.

platformzero@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I HAVE LIVED IN THE BOTTOMS MOST OF MY CHID HOOD WHICH IS BY ROUND POUND I AM 32 KNOW AND HAVE 4 KIDS AND A HUSBAND OF 14 YEARS I WOULD LOVE TOO SHOW THEM AND MYSELF THE OLD SLAVE HOUSE.IWAS TOO CHICKEN TOO SEE IT WHEN IT WAS OPEN.I HAVE HEARD ALOT OF STORYS FROM MY FATHER .I HOPE IT WILL REOPEN SOON IT IS WONDERFULL ILLINOIS HISTORY!!